My top ten favorite words are featured at The Broke and Bookish this week. Go check everyone's list out!
Here's my list:
1. Atrocious: "Utterly revolting, or of very poor quality". This is one of my favorite words to use when describing something I don't like.
2. Facetiously: "Joking or jesting often inappropriately". I love this word because all five vowels are in alphabetical order. I know there are other words like this, but this is the first one I remember learning.
3. Lackadaisical: "Lacking life, spirit, or zest". This is such a fun word to say, which seems kind of ironic considering the definition.
4. Dessert: "A usually sweet course or dish (as of pastry or ice cream) usually served at the end of a meal". I love dessert. Cake, pie, cookies, pudding, brownies, ice cream, you name it I will devour it (especially if it has chocolate in it).
5. Wanderlust: "Strong longing for or impulse toward wandering". Ahh..the travel bug. I love traveling to new places and exploring.
6. Onomatopoeia: "The use of words whose sound suggests the sense". Another fun word to say and I love words that are onomatopoeia's: buzz, hiss, beep, knock, sizzle, zap, squish.
7. Oxymoron: "A combination of contradictory or incongruous words (such as cruel kindness)". Ever since I was first taught this word in elementary school I've pictured an 'ox' and a 'moron' in my head.
8. Surreptitious: "Done, made, or acquired by stealth". It's like clandestine...but way cooler.
9. Pterodactyl: "Any of various pterosaurs (suborder Pterodactyloidea) of the Late Jurassic and Cretaceous having a rudimentary tail and a beak with reduced dentition". My favorite dinosaur! Who doesn't love dinosaurs?
10. Beach: "A shore of a body of water covered by sand, gravel, or larger rock fragments; a seashore area". I've always lived within 15 minutes of the ocean. I love it, it's one of my favorite places to be.
*All definitions are from Merriam-Webster Online.
What are your favorite words?