Thursday, December 9, 2010

Quotes from "Fixing Delilah"

Title: Fixing Delilah
Author: Sarah Ockler
Published: Little, Brown Books, 2010 
Source:  Purchased myself at B&N
Rating: 4.5 stars

Summary:

Things in Delilah Hannaford's life have a tendency to fall apart. She used to be a good student, but she can't seem to keep it together anymore. Her "boyfriend" isn't much of a boyfriend. And her mother refuses to discuss the fight that divided their family eight years ago. Falling apart, it seems, is a Hannaford tradition.

Over a summer of new friendships, unexpected romance, and moments that test the complex bonds between mothers and daughters, Delilah must face her family's painful past. Can even her most shattered relationships be pieced together again?
  (from Goodreads).

Thoughts:

I read this book last week.  I really enjoyed it but unfortunately I think I waited too long before writing a review.  I guess I need to review a book pretty soon after I finish reading it!  I tried writing one...but didn't like how it turned out.  Instead of a review I thought I would post my favorite quotes from the book:


“An invisible electronic woman navigates us toward the highway from the distant planet Monotone, where everyone is tranquil and directionally adept” - page 3

“...surrounding us is an ocean of mess and misunderstanding, full of pirates and sharks just waiting to see who slips in first” - page 5

“It’s funny how someone can be such an integral part of your life, like you laugh at the same jokes and eat your ice cream cones the same way and share your toys and dreams and everything but your heartbeats, and then one day – nothing.  You share nothing.  It’s like none of it ever happened.” - pages 15-16

“Sometimes I think I’m on the edge of some great understanding, looking up at all the answers I just can’t reach, like apples too high in the tree.  But tonight, I stretch my fingers toward the sky, and I think I have the answer” - page 140

“Sometimes I wonder if my whole life will pass by this way: me waiting in the shadows, waiting for something to happen.  Waiting for someone else to make it happen.  Something new or different or crazy and amazing.  I’ve been there for so long, letting everyone else figure it out for me, floating along without much direction or conscious though.  Reacting.  Attention-seeking. Impulsive. Reckless.”  - page 147

“Words spilling out on the page like ninjas, sneaking up on the rest of us for the stealth attack” - page 149

“I’ll probably have to devise some elaborate alternate communication method now, like writing in symbols in the dirt or tapping out letters in Morse code on my head, because I’ve obviously lost control of whatever brain parts are responsible for forming words” - page 154

“Up here, we’re giants, locked into our steel cage while the ants work below and the seagulls hover and dive all around them” - page 157

“...I wonder how much we don’t see.  How much of our lives we witness and accept as truth when the rest of the iceberg – the heaviest, bulkiest part – is buried and invisible” - page 178

“I wonder how many loose buttons there are in this world, just rolling around in a jar without a mate or a blouse to go on.  No destiny.  No purpose.  Just sitting there, unnoticed.  Forgotten”  - page 258


No comments: