Monday, August 16, 2010

Review: unSweetined

Title: unSweetined
Author: Jodie Sweetin, Jon Warech
Published: Simon & Schuster Adult, November, 2009
Where I Got It: Library
Why I Read It: I loved Full House when I was little so I thought I might enjoy this book.

Rating: 1 stars

Summary:

Once Danny Tanner's bubbly daughter on America's favorite family sitcom, Jodie Sweetin takes readers behind the scenes of Full House and shares her terrifying -- and uplifting -- real-life story of addiction and recovery (from Goodreads).

Review:

So disappointed with this book. I knew it wasn't going to be an amazing read but I still had high hopes for it. I LOVED watching Full House when I was little (and I still catch the reruns every once in a while). Maybe I thought there was going to be more about the Full House cast in the book? I'm not sure.

There was too much random namedropping and little side stories put in places they didn't fit. It also seemed like Jodie was whining the whole time because she felt Full House was the reason she turned to drugs and alcohol. Jodie complains that her "awkward" years are in constant syndication on tv and she gets annoyed when people call her Stephanie Tanner. I felt that throughout the whole book Jodie was just complaining about her life.

There were two interesting facts about Full House that I learned:


1. The show was originally supposed to be called House of Comics. A show about three comedians living in a house together...but then it evolved into a family show.

2. Dave Coulier (Joey Gladstone) dated Alanis Morissette. The song "You Oughta Know" was written about their breakup.

Even though I did not enjoy this book I hope that Jodie stays away from the drugs and alcohol (when she turned in the manuscript there had only been about 100 days since her last relapse).

1 comment:

Daisy said...

I LOVED Full House as well! Haven't watched it in a while. Too bad the book wasn't that great. I never knew that song was about him! That's shocking.